Custom Jewelry Design 101: How It Works And Why It’s Right For You
Your jewelry is almost an extension of yourself, and as such, it should reflect your personal style and unique taste perfectly. That’s why custom jewelry design is such an amazing thing. Because with it, you get to create pieces that are as unique as you are. Not only that, but custom-made jewelry pieces are also wonderful gifts. They show how special your giftee is to you because instead of picking a gift off a shelf, you chose to design something unique for them, And that’s priceless.
How does custom jewelry design work?
It’s actually simpler than you might think! When you get a piece of jewelry custom-made, you have creative control, so you’re involved in the process from start to finish. Here is the step-by-step breakdown of what you can expect the whole custom design process to look like:
- First, you bring us pictures, sketches, or anything else that inspired your design.
- Then, we work with you to create the design concept for your one-of-a-kind piece.
- Once you approve the design, our jeweler creates a wax model to represent your custom piece's final look.
- Upon your approval of the wax model, all you have to do is leave the work to us. Then, in a few days, we introduce you to the jewelry piece of your dreams! Easy, right?
Why get custom jewelry?
Why not? There are several reasons for getting custom-made jewelry! For starters, the design is entirely in your hands, which means you’re the one who picks everything from the precious metals and gemstones to the tiniest details of the piece. Another reason custom design is so great is that, in our day and age, everything is mass-produced, so having a unique piece of jewelry made especially for you is priceless. Not only that, but your jewelry piece will capture and express your style like no other accessory could. And it’s no wonder - after all, you’re the one who designed it! Also, you don’t have to worry about your precious piece ever going out of style because it’s one-of-a-kind, so it doesn’t follow trends - it’s a timeless staple.
What types of custom jewelry can I get?
The truth is that your options are endless. We can create any piece you can dream of - no matter how intricate the design may be. So don’t be afraid to let your creativity run wild!
Here are some of the options you have with custom jewelry design:
- Redesign a worn-out piece of jewelry you don’t wear anymore into something new and exciting.
- Turn an outdated family heirloom into a new, stylish piece full of special meaning.
- Create a bespoke engagement ring to ask your soulmate to marry you.
- Turn an earring whose pair you lost into a beautiful pendant or charm.
- Design unique wedding bands for you and your loved one.
- Make a special pair of earrings featuring your children’s birthstones.
- Create a bracelet inspired by your favorite song, book, or movie.
How long does custom jewelry take?
When you decide to get a piece of jewelry custom-made especially for you, it’s only natural to count the days until you can finally wear it. We know you can hardly wait for it! But, jewelry making is a delicate artistry that shouldn’t be rushed. The initial design process tends to be the most lengthy part, and the more intricate the design or the highest number of alterations, the longer it will take to finish. But that’s not a bad thing! Our master jewelers would rather take some time to create a piece of unparalleled quality and incomparable craftsmanship than rush the process and have you end up with a piece that doesn’t meet our high standards - or your expectations, for that matter. While there’s no definitive answer for how long a custom design project takes from start to finish, you can expect your special piece to be ready to join your jewelry collection in around four to ten weeks, depending on the complexity of the design.
At Galloway & Moseley, we transform your dreams into reality. Our expert jewelers and talented goldsmiths are eager to help you design that special one-of-a-kind piece you’ve always dreamed of. Whether you’re after a custom engagement ring, a one-of-a-kind broach, a bespoke necklace, or unique cufflinks, or a pair of special earrings, you can have complete confidence when you bring your ideas to us. Visit us to see first-hand how we care for your jewelry! You can find us at 444 North Guignard Drive, Sumter, SC, or 2001 Hoffmeyer Rd., Florence, SC. And, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for our latest news and stunning jewelry inspiration.